Mnemonics to Memorize the Geologic Time Scale
(Except for Precambrian):
Here's are the mnemonics that the instructors often use during the trip
Here are some additional Mnemonics suggested by your fellow students:
1. To memorize the Eras:
Ø Precambrian, Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic:
* Please pay my children!
*Pizza places make chicken.
*Peter Piper milks cows.
2. To memorize the Periods:
Ø Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Mississippian, Pennsylvanian, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, Tertiary, Quaternary:
* Cold oysters seldom develop many precious pearls, their juices congeal too quickly.
* Come over some day, maybe play poker. Three jacks can take queens.
* Charlie Oliver Still Drives My Purple Plymouth To Jersey City Through Quicksand
* Can old senators demand more political power than junior congressmen? Tough question!
* Quiet Time Can Just Tease People Particularly Men Dodging Spouses Ordering Chores (Reverse).
3. To memorize the Epochs of Cenozoic Era:
Ø Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene, Pleistocene, Holocene (or Recent):
* Pretty Eager Old Men Play Poker Hard.
* Pigeon Egg Omelets Make People Puke Heartily.
* Put Eggs On My Plate Please Homer.
4. The missing Era: Precambrian
Ø Archean, Proterozoic